About Our Parish‎ > ‎Church History‎ > ‎

Parish History (1906 - 1972)

The former Sts. Peter & Paul School, having just 2 classrooms
Reverend Wendelin Goehrig, pastor from 1906 to 1909, completed the rectory that Father Keller had begun.  Reverend Joseph Broerman succeeded Father Goehrig in 1909.  During his term in 1916, the Sisters of Divine Providence replaced the school's lay teachers.  In 1927, the new brick church was torn down due to safety reasons.  Father Broerman oversaw the building of the present concrete basement church at a cost of about $22,000.  Bishop Howard, Bishop of Covington, blessed the church on December 8, 1928. Succeeding Reverend Joseph Broerman were Reverends Stoeckel, Bauer, and DeJaco.  Reverend Louis DeJaco was pastor for 19 years!  Fulfilling Father's request, in 1948 the Sisters of St. Benedict replaced the Sisters of Divine Providence in the parish school.  During his last year, Father DeJaco remodled the rectory into a school and Sister dwelling.  The old school, having been condemned, was torn down.  During the summer of 1951, a new parish house was erected; however, Father DeJaco died before it was completed. In 1951, Reverend Frederick Terhar was appointed pastor of the parish.  The 100th Anniversary of the Parish was celebrated in 1953, during his tenor.  Most Reverend William T. Mulloy, D.D. was Bishop of Covington at that time. In 1957, Father Terhar undertook the task of building the first phase of our present school.  The new school consisted of three classrooms, a cafeteria, and two restrooms.  A gym was in the plans but it was decided there was not enough money at that time.  The 3 classrooms were called "The Big Room," "The Middle Room," and "The Little Room."  Bertha Erhardt was the first cafeteria manager.  The Sisters of Notre Dame served as the faculty until 1972.

Upon the death of Father Terhar on July 31, 1959, Father oseph Rueter was apponted administrator.  He served until Father Charles Donovan was appointed Administrator in 1960.  During the administration of Father Donovan, the church sanctuary was refurbished.  In 1966, Father Donovan was transferred to another parish.  Father Charles Hoffer then became the pastor of Sts. Peter and Paul.

Father Hoffer served us well during his stay.  Because of the baby boom of 1959-1961, the Diocesan schools were ovecrowded by the late 1960's.  To alleviate this problem, it was decided to send the first grade students to the public schools.  Some schools were able to remain open with the full eight grades.  Father Hoffer and the parishoners tried to keep our first grade open, but at that time we had 3 teachers in 3 rooms.  No matter how the students were divided, the numbers were over the state limit for a classroom.  We had no choice but to drop our first grade.  This continued until 1972.
 
In July 1969, Father Ambrose Wagner was appointed pastor.  One of Father Wagner's last assignments was the closing of Immaculate Conception Church in Newport, Kentucky.  Father brought the Infant of Prague and several other statues with him to our church.  When Father Wagner took control of the parish, he administered to the spiritual needs of the church and let the committeemen and volunteers take charge of the daily operations of the parish. At the end of the school year in 1971, the Sisters of Notre Dame left our parish.  The Diocesan Board of Education directed us to close our school because of a lack of enrollment, which was less than 70 students for 7 grades.  Father Wagner let the parents take the initiative to keep the school open.  The parents were successful in convincing the Diocese to keep the school open as a private school within the Diocese.  Lay teachers were hired and William Hipple was appointed the principal.